Wednesday, February 15, 2006

feedback

this post is a little towards the administrivia side but it's been something i've been thinking about for a while...

you'll probably notice that there is no way to post comments about my blog articles - that's intentional and there are a couple of good reasons for it...

the first is that by and large most of my posts here are rants - they're posted in order to get something off my chest, not necessarily strike up a discussion...

the second, perhaps the more important, is that i don't feel like providing yet another malware forum, much less have to maintain yet another malware forum (i'm already the moderator on a couple of malware discussion forums and frankly, i don't need to add to that list)...

and lastly, i just like having the last word, and rather that fiddling around with comments or arguing 'til i'm blue in the face, i just leave comments off... (i also don't have to deal with comment spam this way)

that said, i suspect people would find my blog more fulfilling if they had some means of interacting with me and maybe even changing my mind or holding me accountable for whatever errors they think i've made... i still don't want to create any new forum for discussion so i've decided to do something a little unorthodox - i'm going to direct people to existing unmoderated (so that there's no chance of me manipulating conversations) forums in the form of 2 usenet newsgroups - alt.comp.virus and alt.comp.anti-virus... i've also created a disposable email address specifically for feedback so you can email me here [edit: mailto link removed]...

[edit: adding new contact feature]
ok, i was using sneakemail.com to provide a disposable email address that i could use on this site, but mailnull.com has an even better service... the idea was always to prevent spammers from getting my real email address by having their bots parse my blog looking for anything that looked like an email address... the disposable email address allowed me to be contacted without revealing my real email address but the spammers could still send email to that address... mailnull.com offers a web contact form to go along with their disposable email service and that effectively removes all email addresses from the web page - so now you can contact me here...

[jan 1, 2007 - edit: this is probably the most changed page on the whole blog]
guess i'm growing soft in my old age, i've just enabled comments... so much for all my arguments against them...

0 comments: